About Me

My photo
Rayne, Louisiana
You've got to be kidding me, I have Breast Cancer? My name is Madelene Boudreaux. I just had my 51st birthday and my present was cancer. Although it wasn't the present I was expecting, I have decided to embrace it as such. My life as it existed is changed. Even though my diagnosis is that I have the most common breast cancer you can have (80% of the women who get breast cancer have this one) and the actual tumor was only 1.2 centimeters and there was only a microscopic spec in one lymph node... things just changed overnight. I feel confident that I will be healed with all the surgery, chemo and radiation, as well as the prayers, the shift in lifestyle and health changes, all of this with God as my Healer overseeing the whole plan. Most importantly, sunsets are more beautiful, my children are more precious and I cry for everything. Such clarity prevails, where life was blurry. I know my healing will come gently through trusted medical professionals, faith in a loving God and prayerful friends. I am surrounded by love with my family of eight kids and a great husband and a community of kind spirits!

Sunday, March 8, 2009

More health decisions.


My last chemo/oncology appointment brought up a big choice I really hadn't given much consideration. The oncologist has recommended a follow up five year plan of either Tamoxifen or Arimidex. Both of which would have less than desirable side effects. Matter of fact most of those listed are exactly what I'm experiencing with the chemo, like bone and muscle pain, INCREASED  hot flashes, BONE LOSS,  Or, how bout this one? One side effect could result in uterine cancer. Well isn't that just grand? There is a lot for me to consider, and I am educating myself and talking to people with a previous experience. But I must say I am leaning towards really boosting my body and nourishing it rather than continuing to treat it harshly for another 5 years. My cancer being an estrogen driven cancer is why they recommend the follow up drug. I will continue to read and learn all I can about the treatment as well as any alternatives. Meanwhile, I pray, that the Lord leads me down the right path and I trust in his guidance. I am ready to get back on track no matter what!

THE GOOD NEWS IS ....Move over Michael Buble', cuz next week, GET THIS, Ricky and I Get to go see KEITH URBAN at the Houston Rodeo...(THE BIGGEST  INDOOR RODEO EVER!!) My dear friend Melba invited us to go to Houston  for the concert on Tuesday and I am so pumped. So we get to hear Keith Urban sing STUPID BOY just for Ricky, in person! I will have to move my LAST chemo back one day to do this but it'll be SO worth it. I've never been to a rodeo either so that will be a first for me. Bryan and Kristin will hold down the home front for us to be able  have this little get away. What a way to celebrate my last treatment!!! Guess I better shine up my cowgirl boots! 

5 comments:

Beth Hosker said...

Take it from your TEXAS cousin the Rodeo is a blast. Make sure your boots are made for walkin cuz it is HUGE! Hopefully you will have time to see all the exhibits. From farm animals to earrings they have it all. And don't forget the Fried twinkies and oreos, turkey legs, BBG and a cold beer. Enjoy the show, I look forward to hearing about your experience. Love, Beth

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that I can bring you to your first rodeo!! YEEHAW!
It can be exhausting, and we want you feeling just right for Keith!
Hope you have a wonderful week, looking forward to you and Ricky coming next week. Remember, we can make it a full day, if you like, there is tons to see and do....it's all up to you my dear!
love,

Melba

Anonymous said...

You are going to have a great time, been many times, my son showed bulls in that show, loved it had a great time. You will see allot of people from Louisiana. Bring the checkbook, shopping like market. Tamoxifen, been there done that,I would not compare it to chemo.( Better) I had to take 2 pills a day for 5 years, made me fill sick in the a.m., so I took both pills at night and went to sleep when I got up it was o.k. I know you will do fine on it. I had hot flashes at first then it stopped after the first 3 months, it was not that bad.

Anonymous said...

sorry did not sign posting before. Have a great time

Bridgette

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and "Stupid Boy" tonight! Can't wait to hear about it! Bet that you and Melba had great boot scootin with Keith!

Am praying for you in your Tamoxifen decision!

Love you!
Westofthesabinefornowsista