About Me

My photo
Rayne, Louisiana
You've got to be kidding me, I have Breast Cancer? My name is Madelene Boudreaux. I just had my 51st birthday and my present was cancer. Although it wasn't the present I was expecting, I have decided to embrace it as such. My life as it existed is changed. Even though my diagnosis is that I have the most common breast cancer you can have (80% of the women who get breast cancer have this one) and the actual tumor was only 1.2 centimeters and there was only a microscopic spec in one lymph node... things just changed overnight. I feel confident that I will be healed with all the surgery, chemo and radiation, as well as the prayers, the shift in lifestyle and health changes, all of this with God as my Healer overseeing the whole plan. Most importantly, sunsets are more beautiful, my children are more precious and I cry for everything. Such clarity prevails, where life was blurry. I know my healing will come gently through trusted medical professionals, faith in a loving God and prayerful friends. I am surrounded by love with my family of eight kids and a great husband and a community of kind spirits!

Sunday, January 11, 2009

CAPS FOR SALE!


 When I was a little girl I had a book called CAPS FOR SALE!  The man would walk around with a bunch of hats on his heads, selling them around town. I read that book over and over. The other day I decided to put all  my hats on my head and I reminded myself of the man in the book. I have grown quite fond of, yes even dependent on my hats. Typically, I only wear my wig, when I am out and about, (which is not often!)  The wig, although it makes me feel esthetically confident, really is uncomfortable after a while. Yesterday Ricky drove me to Lafayette to run a few errands and do a little work. On the way home I got so claustrophobic wearing the wig, I just needed to take IT OFF!!! But I didn't have any hats in the suburban to replace it  if I took off the wig. The hats keep my head warm, and not quite as many people do double takes when they see you. It is probably the insecurity of being "Exposed" that I really dislike the most. Ricky came to my rescue with his LSU cap and I was able to take off the wig. Home is my comfort zone, wig or no wig, hat or no hat. The people in my home have adjusted to what I am going through, they know that tears are usually fleeting and fever eventually goes away. They know what my bald head looks like and they know I miss my hair! Others happen upon my bald head, when they come to visit. Somehow thats not too bad, because I am comfortable at home no matter who comes in the door. It is my space, my place to heal, almost like a safe cocoon! 
       Every year for Valentine's Day, Blair and I and a few other hairdressers go to school for Locks of Love Day, when some of Rayne Catholic's elementary girls donate their pony tails to those who have lost their hair due to illness and /or chemo. It is always a very powerful, meaningful celebration! This is the first year I will  do this with a bald head myself!! It brings a whole new meaning to the beautiful gesture, these girls are doing! This year the kids will pay to be able to wear red or pink and the proceeds will benefit the Miles Perret Center.  What an awesome event to be a part of! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute photo. I have also read that book alot and you did a great impression, LOL. Keep your spirits up and GOd will get you through this. You are a special person inside and out and I know he's doing this through you for a reason. You may not feel that way, and you might think "Oh its easy for you to say", but I know there is a reason. Your awesome. GOd Bless


Love Crystal JUdice

Anonymous said...

My CRAZY Friend,

Always expect the unexpected with you! Who else would think about taking this picture(and still look great)!! I know in my heart that you will have just the right words to share with the girls on Valentine's Day when they give "their hair". I am honored that this will be the year that my child will share. You see my friend, whether you know this or not, one of the most profound things I have learned from you is to LET GO OF THE FEAR!! You are still teaching me more than you will ever know.

Love, Dawn

Lila Lambert said...

A just-man Jesus could love us but never save us; but a God-man Jesus?? Near enough to touch. Strong enough to trust. A next door Savior....m-m-m- As a child instinctively knows when he is in the arms of his father and feels safe...so are we in the arms of our Father!!!

Anonymous said...

This morning at my Language Teacher Inservice, we got on the topic of favorite children's books. I told them about you and your cancer dance and your blog, your collection of hats, AND your favorite childhood book! I asked everyone if they had heard of "Caps for Sale" and whether or not it was still in print. Lisa quickly answered that she had a copy in her classroom and that she wants you to have it. So be on the lookout for "Caps for Sale" in the mail!