About Me

My photo
Rayne, Louisiana
You've got to be kidding me, I have Breast Cancer? My name is Madelene Boudreaux. I just had my 51st birthday and my present was cancer. Although it wasn't the present I was expecting, I have decided to embrace it as such. My life as it existed is changed. Even though my diagnosis is that I have the most common breast cancer you can have (80% of the women who get breast cancer have this one) and the actual tumor was only 1.2 centimeters and there was only a microscopic spec in one lymph node... things just changed overnight. I feel confident that I will be healed with all the surgery, chemo and radiation, as well as the prayers, the shift in lifestyle and health changes, all of this with God as my Healer overseeing the whole plan. Most importantly, sunsets are more beautiful, my children are more precious and I cry for everything. Such clarity prevails, where life was blurry. I know my healing will come gently through trusted medical professionals, faith in a loving God and prayerful friends. I am surrounded by love with my family of eight kids and a great husband and a community of kind spirits!

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Holy Toledo!





     We went to my favorite place this weekend. Wasn't sure I was even up to the trip, but like my boss, Ronnie, said a bad day at Toledo is better than a good day at home. And he was right! There is a certain feeling of serenity that the place exudes, hence the name "SERENITY HILL." When I walk in the door there is a smell that I can't identify that gives me comfort.  Of course it doesn't hurt that the home itself is beautiful and sits on a very scenic hill overlooking  the lake. I have been there many times now, too many to count. Each visit, as great as the previous. Some of them have been heart wrenching like the time we went and little baby Elle's health declined every moment we were there. I remember staying in fervent prayer constantly, and as I gazed at the natural awesome beauty around me I had to believe that God, in his magnificent plan, would make everything better and heal our brokenness. As we await our 2 new granddaughters, He has restored my faith in his healing promise. There was the time that Ricky and I went, just the 2 of us. SOOO relaxing!!! Maddie reminded us that she doesn't like it when we go without them. But Ricky and I both know how vital it is that we have sacred time alone! There have been times the WHOLE family comes to help with my designated task. Those times will be treasured... such a great place for wholesome family fun and sun! Then there was the time Kathy and Skip came with us... We grilled steaks on the half finished back porch and literally danced under the stars! Or the time Mom and Sheila came and Mom got to fish again... Or the time Donna and Mike came and we drank too many margaritas and played Mexican train...WOO HOO!! Angie, I know, its your turn now!! We must make a sister trip!  One of my favorites was the time my girlfriends came with me, as I was healing from my second surgery. They literally had to nurse me, in my physical brokenness, but nothing could replace the  personal healing  that took place in each of our hearts as we shared our innermost feelings about so many things! I guess I must thank them once again for making me choose between Tylox and WINE!!! I guess good friends and wine is all you ever really need!
      This trip was quiet for me, recovering from the flu and chemo, so I just quietly sat by the fire in the house  as the girls and Ricky fished on the dock. I watched them from the house, in delight that they are learning to carry on, in spite of how I'm feeling. 
     This is more than just a job for me. It is a blessing in my life that measures beyond belief, I get to do what  I love, in a beautiful place that gives me comfort and eases my burden when I am there. It is a holy place, a place where we cannot escape all the goodness God has to offer. And that is why I call it Holy Toledo!! Thank you Ronnie and Melba, I love you both dearly.  I am so blessed! 

2 comments:

Blanche said...

One word: "JEALOUSY!"

Anonymous said...

YOU are such a blessing in our lives. I look forward to the time we can go to Toledo Bend TOGETHER.....Soon, very soon.....when the sawdust clears...AGAIN! Love you dearly!

Melba