About Me

My photo
Rayne, Louisiana
You've got to be kidding me, I have Breast Cancer? My name is Madelene Boudreaux. I just had my 51st birthday and my present was cancer. Although it wasn't the present I was expecting, I have decided to embrace it as such. My life as it existed is changed. Even though my diagnosis is that I have the most common breast cancer you can have (80% of the women who get breast cancer have this one) and the actual tumor was only 1.2 centimeters and there was only a microscopic spec in one lymph node... things just changed overnight. I feel confident that I will be healed with all the surgery, chemo and radiation, as well as the prayers, the shift in lifestyle and health changes, all of this with God as my Healer overseeing the whole plan. Most importantly, sunsets are more beautiful, my children are more precious and I cry for everything. Such clarity prevails, where life was blurry. I know my healing will come gently through trusted medical professionals, faith in a loving God and prayerful friends. I am surrounded by love with my family of eight kids and a great husband and a community of kind spirits!

Thursday, December 18, 2008





     I am so glad that I have finished the first regimen of treatment, the harshest part is now behind me!! So whatever effect it has on me this time, I won't have to do it again!!! The next round of 12 consecutive weeks will of course not be a breeze, but should be better.
     Dr. Brierre was a good sport again, agreeing to be on my blog cuz now I have as little hair as he and Ricky! 
     Maddie and Haley had their Buddy Christmas play yesterday and they performed  a couple of Christmas skits with their little kindergarten buddies. It was so well done and definitely brought the focus of Christmas on the birth of Jesus for our students at school. It was very touching!
     This Sunday is Blair's baby shower, so we are very much looking forward to that fun day. We have started on decorating the nursery, which of course, will be so "Blair" and cute. She is going with brown and white zebra print and pastel pink, and olive green. Will have to post pictures of Audrey's little room  when we are finished. I am going to try my hand at sewing the curtains. Haven't sewed in a while.
     I don't know why I am sharing this but it was so stupid I feel it's more like a confession. I was told that sometimes on chemo, your thought processes can be affected, which certainly has happened to some degree, so I don't know if I am confusing CHEMO BRAIN with the Faulk curse of A.D.D. ! But the other day when I got in my suburban to go to town, I got all situated with  my bank deposit and my purse and da da da! Then I put the car in reverse and ran into the CLOSED gararge door. Oh how stupid. Cancer teaches me to live in the moment, but that day I guess I wasn't. I called Ricky crying in the driveway and the precious man just comforted me and said it would all be okay. Cancer is teaching him many things too, obviously, cuz I can recall times not so long ago that I MIGHT have gotten screamed at for such a stupid thing!! We are all learning patience and enduring gracefully what this journey presents. I am amazed at the good things that come from this unpleasant situation. God has so many gifts wrapped up in unsuspecting places. 
    So speaking of wrapped up gifts, I have learned this year to not overload myself with the search of  perfect gifts, have even cut down the number of gifts given, not because I don't want to give, I am just so wrapped up in the  awe of those that have given to me. Nothing could ever equally measure what we have been blessed with by friends, family and even acquaintances! I am spending all of Advent in prayer of thanksgiving for all the love we have received. And as each of us await the birth of our Lord I pray that we all give from  our hearts to the Christ we see in everyone during this exciting Christmas season. 
     I was taken by a phrase in one of the songs used in the school play about the faith of Joseph, to accept and agree to join Mary's journey as her husband. I am realizing more and more the value of my faith. Our faith helps us to believe in things we cannot see and even though I can't see my healing taking place, I must have the faith that it is happening! 

"What is faith?... it is the evidence of things we cannot see. God gave his approval to people in days of old because of their faith." Hebrews 11:1-2

No comments: