About Me

My photo
Rayne, Louisiana
You've got to be kidding me, I have Breast Cancer? My name is Madelene Boudreaux. I just had my 51st birthday and my present was cancer. Although it wasn't the present I was expecting, I have decided to embrace it as such. My life as it existed is changed. Even though my diagnosis is that I have the most common breast cancer you can have (80% of the women who get breast cancer have this one) and the actual tumor was only 1.2 centimeters and there was only a microscopic spec in one lymph node... things just changed overnight. I feel confident that I will be healed with all the surgery, chemo and radiation, as well as the prayers, the shift in lifestyle and health changes, all of this with God as my Healer overseeing the whole plan. Most importantly, sunsets are more beautiful, my children are more precious and I cry for everything. Such clarity prevails, where life was blurry. I know my healing will come gently through trusted medical professionals, faith in a loving God and prayerful friends. I am surrounded by love with my family of eight kids and a great husband and a community of kind spirits!

Thursday, May 7, 2009

EYELASHES!!!



These are my EYES before Chemo!!
I would've never thought that eyelashes and eyebrows could be so empowering. I never realized how they really DEFINE your face. When  the eyebrows are gone it's like your eyes aren't complete. And the eyelashes make your eyes stand out, and have character. I remember when Dr. Breaux told me that my cancer was stage 2 and I would need chemo, I was so concerned with the hair loss and my first question was "Will I loose my hair?" and he said he was certain I would. After I paused a minute to fight the tears, I told him, "Well at least I'll still have my pretty blue eyes!"  I later realized that even your eyes look sick when you have chemo. 
Last week I was down to ONE eyelash... NO LIE, ONE!!! It looked ridiculous. But yesterday I noticed all my eyelashes and eyebrows are starting to grow back! Oh happy day! I can soon resume indulging in my mascara addiction. The little hairs are just stubs right now, but soon they will be back to normal. I found myself singing in the car by myself today on the way back from radiation. Not just cuz my lashes and brows are coming back (I'm not that shallow!), but because in small ways, everyday, I am coming back! 

3 comments:

Kellie said...

What did u do? Is that the ones I told u about? They look real. And the eyebrows. Your hair looks red?

Blanche said...

okay, so Izzy is losing her hair and your eyebrows and eyelashes are growing back! Make me cry like a baby!!! I love you Mom and you have NO idea how happy I am for you that you are feeling better!

Lila Lambert said...

Having "you" is the most important thing,as I am sure every member of your family would attest to and us friends too....each one of us cherishes you in a different way: each one of your children, grandchildren, husband, sister, mother, you are special to each one and the love you share shines through their spirits....Have a blessed Mother's Day!!!!