About Me

My photo
Rayne, Louisiana
You've got to be kidding me, I have Breast Cancer? My name is Madelene Boudreaux. I just had my 51st birthday and my present was cancer. Although it wasn't the present I was expecting, I have decided to embrace it as such. My life as it existed is changed. Even though my diagnosis is that I have the most common breast cancer you can have (80% of the women who get breast cancer have this one) and the actual tumor was only 1.2 centimeters and there was only a microscopic spec in one lymph node... things just changed overnight. I feel confident that I will be healed with all the surgery, chemo and radiation, as well as the prayers, the shift in lifestyle and health changes, all of this with God as my Healer overseeing the whole plan. Most importantly, sunsets are more beautiful, my children are more precious and I cry for everything. Such clarity prevails, where life was blurry. I know my healing will come gently through trusted medical professionals, faith in a loving God and prayerful friends. I am surrounded by love with my family of eight kids and a great husband and a community of kind spirits!

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day just isn't the same when your dad lives in heaven!


I don't need to ramble on today about what a great dad Ricky is. You all know I've been singing his praises for months now and today is no exception! He is still a great husband and awesome dad. My children adore him and love him dearly!
Today  I find myself thinking mostly about my dad, STAN THE MAN and the man he was to me! I miss him a lot and have leaned on him often in this cancer experience! I had this black and white picture of he and I taped to my mirror throughout all of my treatments, looking daily at his adoring smile so many Christmases ago! In that picture I had never yet disobeyed him, he had never talked to me about "c" s being only average grades and that I could do better than that! We hadn't played in the leaves he had just raked yet, I hadn't yet watched him carve a roast as though  it would be presented in some fabulous feast for some royal person, I hadn't gone fishing with him for long hours waiting for the fish to start biting and then finally landing a 7 -3/4 lb. Speckled trout! That made him so proud he was about to BUST! I hadn't yet received a beautiful Alexandrite ring he bought me on a dove hunt in Brownsville (I still love to receive gifts!) He hadn't educated me about the proper cleaning of doves after the hunt, where we watched in awe and learned all the internal organs of a freshly cleaned white wing dove! He hadn't yet met the boy I would marry, he didn't yet know that I would be the mother of EIGHT children. (Layni is still sad she never got to meet POPO!) So many things were yet to unfold, that we were not aware of! He was a strong man, in stature and character. I have always admired him and have been told that I have some of his qualities! (only his good ones, of course!) He was not perfect (as I once thought) he had flaws that made him as human as the next dad. He was my hero and I always  looked up to him!  My dad fought many battles in his life, he was a boxer that never lost a fight (no lie), he was a marine and he was a cancer survivor! When we took that picture almost 50 years ago, he didn't know that one day I, too, would battle cancer! He would have encouraged me and kept me focused on the positive! Just like he did from heaven. I would've preferred he'd been here to hug me and talk to me in person, but he was not! I make the best of communicating through prayer in hopes that he knows I still love him so much, as I know he does me! I can still smell what his cheeks smelled like when I would kiss him and I can still taste  his TROUT almondine, the best ever ( a treasured recipe from his fellow fisher friend TOPAT MORROW!)  I wish Layni could've met her POPO, she would've loved him too!  You can't smile as big as the two of us in that picture unless your heart is filled with love!  I love my dad! Hoping you are fishing in heaven today! 

3 comments:

Lila Lambert said...

I can't see my Father....but, it is enough that He sees me and is there to catch me!!!!

Crystal said...

Wow!!! Im reading this late as usual now a days. But what an awesome passage. I can see & heard before how much you adored your father & still do. I know he is looking down on u today & im positive he is happy with the woman you have become. Im sorry he wasnt physically here on this special day, but I know he's looking down from heaven. Being a very proud father.

Much Love,
Crystal Judice


P.S.
Audreys a doll & a joy to babysit!!

Madelene Boudreaux said...
This comment has been removed by the author.