About Me

My photo
Rayne, Louisiana
You've got to be kidding me, I have Breast Cancer? My name is Madelene Boudreaux. I just had my 51st birthday and my present was cancer. Although it wasn't the present I was expecting, I have decided to embrace it as such. My life as it existed is changed. Even though my diagnosis is that I have the most common breast cancer you can have (80% of the women who get breast cancer have this one) and the actual tumor was only 1.2 centimeters and there was only a microscopic spec in one lymph node... things just changed overnight. I feel confident that I will be healed with all the surgery, chemo and radiation, as well as the prayers, the shift in lifestyle and health changes, all of this with God as my Healer overseeing the whole plan. Most importantly, sunsets are more beautiful, my children are more precious and I cry for everything. Such clarity prevails, where life was blurry. I know my healing will come gently through trusted medical professionals, faith in a loving God and prayerful friends. I am surrounded by love with my family of eight kids and a great husband and a community of kind spirits!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My journey in Sculpture!



When I was in the midst of chemo and the journey seemed difficult to do alone, I felt so weak, so fragile! For the first time in my life I had no choice, but to lean on others to carry me through and lift me in prayer. Without those holding me up I would have felt so defeated. During that time, one day when I was at Barnel's Framing and gift shop I came across these beautiful "Women of the Way" sculptures. I was so taken be their profound messages, by the way they spoke to me. There were many to choose from, but in my brokenness, I was drawn to the one called SWEET ENCOURAGEMENT.  It's message was "Two are better than one... for if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow..." Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
There were many times throughout these past few months that I would look at that statue and  see my broken spirit in the woman being held and was so grateful I was constantly being reminded to keep my eyes on the Lord, that there were people in my life showing me the way! 
I also realized, in time, that it was a difficult time for my family and friends. They suffered as they watched me suffer. And at times I felt disappointed by the distance that cancer created in my relationships with my loved ones! Things shift and people react differently when we change. I was the STRONG one who became very weak, I needed people to show up! I remember a day when my good friend came over and she was devastated because of the shift in our friendship during the illness. Things had changed because of my brokenness  and she was desperately trying to cope with my illness and step in to a role in our friendship that was not familiar. That experience taught me so much. Our expectations of people are sometimes unfair. People who truly love you, give you what they can, what they are capable of!  And that is really all we need. Maybe there isn't a right or wrong way to love, you just love. And my dearest friends certainly loved me through my darkest hours!  
On my last day of radiation, that same friend, who felt like she hadn't done enough for me, showed up with the second sculpture, CELEBRATION! "Rejoice with them that rejoice..." Romans 12:15  It is such a joyous symbol of triumphing through the trials, significantly shared with others.  Thank all of you for CELEBRATING the finish line of treatment with me. It is truly a joyful time! I have been truly loved by many!

3 comments:

Lila Lambert said...

I love, love these sculptures.....Have to have one...they really speak to the heart as did your journey!!!

Madelene Boudreaux said...

Lila, you must go to see the rest of the beautiful collection and be sure to ask to see the little booklet that features each sculpture with its story and bible quote! So Awesome!! It is on Guilbeau road in Lafayette.

Lila Lambert said...

Absolutely...thanks!!! Just read this: From great difficulties spring great dreams...thought of you!!!