About Me

My photo
Rayne, Louisiana
You've got to be kidding me, I have Breast Cancer? My name is Madelene Boudreaux. I just had my 51st birthday and my present was cancer. Although it wasn't the present I was expecting, I have decided to embrace it as such. My life as it existed is changed. Even though my diagnosis is that I have the most common breast cancer you can have (80% of the women who get breast cancer have this one) and the actual tumor was only 1.2 centimeters and there was only a microscopic spec in one lymph node... things just changed overnight. I feel confident that I will be healed with all the surgery, chemo and radiation, as well as the prayers, the shift in lifestyle and health changes, all of this with God as my Healer overseeing the whole plan. Most importantly, sunsets are more beautiful, my children are more precious and I cry for everything. Such clarity prevails, where life was blurry. I know my healing will come gently through trusted medical professionals, faith in a loving God and prayerful friends. I am surrounded by love with my family of eight kids and a great husband and a community of kind spirits!

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Doctor's "great" sense of humor!

Had chemo today and was sharing with Erick and Dr.  Brierre how each week when I have chemo I loose my voice and I noticed that it starts before I even get there. For every treatment, I have to take a  steriod prescription the night before and the morning of chemo. So I asked if they thought that maybe it was the steroid making me get hoarse and loose my voice. Neither one had ever heard of that and were a little puzzled. When  I first started on the steroids I had to take 3 in the morning and 3 at night, each time gradually worked my way down to 1 at night and 1 in the morning. So he suggested I go to 1/2 each time.The steroid is used to help prevent side effects from the chemo. 
Well, I then very emotionally and tearfully described to them what the last week had felt like, being extremely tired and increasingly frustrated and ridiculously emotional. It was one of those stupid, weepy,  winey, lalalalalala conversations you should only do in front of your husband, children or very close friends!!  On second thought, you probably shouldn't even really ever do it, but in the moment you just can't stop yourself. When I was done and I looked up at my 3 guys (Ricky was there) and they all 3 looked like a batch of "DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS"!!  No one spoke for about a minute and then Dr. Brierre looked at Ricky and said, "Rick, I think I have an emergency at the hospital and I need you to drive me, let's leave Erick here to deal with Madelene!" Ha Ha very funny Gene Brierre, I will get you back. 
Before he walked out, he said he had second thoughts about reducing  my steroids to 1/2, he suggested I go back up  to 3 and 3 in hopes of me LOOSING MY VOICE COMPLETELY! He did make me laugh and assured me that in the weeks following chemo I will SLOWLY but SURELY return back to normal. On the way home I asked Ricky how it made him feel when I break down emotionally and he reminded me that it's not ME it's the CHEMO! 
We are going to the hospital to see Blair and Audrey in a little bit. That will cheer me up!

1 comment:

Lila Lambert said...

"A path has opened in front of you, it is a reality that cannot yet be grasped...it has begun to take on the dimensions of the vast love of Our Lord...He does not allow us to remain imprisoned by our own plans or pains...The path is the open arms of Jesus" This was in my readings this morning and really WOWED me..had to share it with you!!